|
katharismós
wennaaa.bs
|
|
thoughts about changes in SYF
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
So I'm sure as many of you have heard, SYF has changed it's grading system - from 5 to 3. From the ones that we are familiar with, Gold (with Honors), Gold, Silver, Bronze and COP to just Distinction, Accomplishment and Commendation. Being in the choral scene in Singapore for 7 years, in all honesty, we strive for the title. Even though being in Mr Toh's choir, where winning should not take the top priority, but I'm sure in our minds, getting the title do mean something. Perhaps it is this grading system that is engraved in the mindset of Singaporeans, where the title determines how your CCA fares. The glory lies in the title. Gold (with Honors) - sounds so atas to say the least hahaha. I'm just glad to have the priviledge to be able to help DMNCHOIR to achieve two GWH titles. To remove all of these and leaving it to just Distinction, Accomplishment and Commendation, there is no glory in the title anymore. Well, to get Distinction is like > 75 pts, and it is easier to get that than GWH for sure. So, I believe more choirs will get Distinction next year I guess. Hm, so this title becomes less exclusive. The rationale behind this decision is because of stress. The government believes that we are experiencing too much stress so now they are changing things up. In my opinion, stress makes us a better person. Stress helps us to be more disciplined, more focused on what we have to accomplish and stress brings out the inner strength in all of us. I remember being in DMNCHOIR and all the hard times I had to go through, esp the SYF in sec 2. The schedules were super hectic, like what I had practices everyday including weekends except for wed. It was really hard work and that was what made me stronger as an individual. Besides, if you joined a CCA that you're truly passionate about, you should be able to tolerate all the shit that you're facing. Somehow, this stress will turn into motivation and you'll just want to give your best every practice. Well, that is how it was like for me. Even though times were really tough and I felt so extremely exhausted and mentally tired out, I pressed on and these were the times I really cherish till this day. Hence, I believe stress should not be a reason for this change. Also, I shall continue from just now. There is no more glory in the title because more choirs will be able to achieve this. So, for the top-notch choirs in Singapore, there could be a lesser motivation to work as hard. But, I strongly believe that Mr Toh's choirs will still strive to do their best and I'm excited for them! One thing so great about Mr Toh is the values that he instills in us. One thing that he told us and I'll never forget - We should not focus on the prize, but our main focus should be sharing our music with our audience. The rest (prizes) are just bonuses! I mean, most choirs put all of their energy into the prize itself. Hearing that was really an eye-opener. I'm sure that Mr Toh's choirs will continue to strive for excellence, to do the best that they can to share their music with the judges and the audience! :) That reminded me, Mr Toh texted me recently, asking me on how I'm doing in MJC! So sweet lah! Miss Yeo also texted me on the same day as well! Oh man, why are they all so sweeeet, makes me miss them so so so much :( TMR - END OF MY PW JOURNEY! can't wait for it! :) Posted by wen xin at 10:51 PM
|