|
katharismós
wennaaa.bs
|
|
Silencing our voices
Friday, February 5, 2016
I still fondly remember back in Sec 3/4 times when I was taking pure literature under Ms Ong, and she once said: "All of us have a voice in this world." I was wondering, really? A normal ordinary person like me have a voice? Well, I guess I understand it better now.
All of us campaign for something - be it for freedom rights, an activist for something you're truly passionate about or for your own beliefs. This is seen through the words we speak to others as well as our actions that prove our words. Basically, all of us are like human signboards written with what we live for/believe in. You may be the quietest person in your clique or class, but you still stand for something. For people who think they have no opinion to issues, they still stand for indifference. All of us have a voice - how are we using it? What kind of message are you sending out to people? I always believe in non-verbal communication. To me, it speaks far more truth than the words you say. I guess for myself, I stand for sincerity. I do hope that people see that attribute in my actions, that I do my best in everything.
Yet, for Christians, our voices are increasingly being silenced. The devil is doing everything He can to make us indifferent and push us to a stage of compromise: when we feel it's okay and we lack that compassion to lovingly rebuke others. Sometimes, I wonder if the words spoken or the messages sent even mean the way they are anymore. It's so easy to encourage someone by saying words they feel would be encouraging, but do they really mean it from the bottom of their hearts?
Going a bit off topic here, so let's get back. Our voices aren't meant to be kept silent, but we are in control of our own voice to let us be heard and speak into the lives of others. We're getting way too comfortable being silent, and that's exactly what the devil is aiming for. When we remain silent, the truth cannot be heard and standards will falter in our society.
If there's anything I've learnt, I'm no longer going to keep silent to things that are unjustified. Just a sudden thought that led me to this post while I was baking pineapple tarts for CNY (tough job!).
Posted by wen xin at 12:22 AM
|